Tuesday, June 5, 2012

3 weeks & 5 days

Where should I start. Right now I'm just healing and trying to remain positive & hopeful.Everything has been going well until last week. I had a little of bleeding through my bandages for the first time & it kind of freaked me out. Since it was a few days before my appointment I took it upon myself and changed my gauzes & bandages. While changing it I got a glimpse of my foot and I must say it looked pretty gruesome which really freaked me out. When I went to the doctor he said I must of bumped my foot near the area where the fixator is because it dug into my skin a little. He loosened the pins in the them and gave me more antibiotics to start taking again. He also instructed me to call him if I ever need my bandages changed. I was unsure about changing them in the first place but wasn't initially told not to. Besides that my toe looks really weird to me & still feels very numb. The calf of the leg I had surgery has lost all of it's muscle which is called atrophy. This is due to that leg not being used at all. The doctor suggested I do slight leg exercises & assured as soon I start back bearing weight I will regain muscle. I'm trying to think positive and consider all of these things normal and try to keep my mind off of the foot surgery horror stories I've heard. I broke down after last week's appointment but my support team made me feel so much better with their encouraging words. This process is not simple as 123. You have to be prepared for some good days and bad physically & mentally. On the up side I have got out the house to enjoy the weather during the Memorial Day weekend although it was in my mom backyard it was nice. My family is awesome, so supportive. I go to the doctor tomorrow and plans to do xrays so I'm praying for some good news. I will let you know.. Stay tuned!!:)
This is the atrophy. The leg of the foot I got surgery on has lost all muscle..
:-(This looks pretty bad I know.... Sorry... Fixator had dug into my skin really bad!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey there! I'm glad to hear you have such an awesome support team, it makes all the difference. I know what you mean about atrophy, although I've been having fun playing with my squishy calf for now LOL! Good luck tomorrow, I'm sending some positive vibes your way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyyy. Thanks for the positive vibes. Sending some right back to you!!:)

      Delete
  2. Ha! You youngsters haven't seen atrophy and squishy calves until you've seen mine! If I can't start exercising soon I think I'll go crazy! My foot might be ready for summer but the rest of me needs some serious work! It's actually one of the worst parts of this whole ordeal for me. Anyway, don't think about the horror stories, those don't happen often, you are going to be just fine, it's just that this process is long and sometimes difficult. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete